Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gratituesday: My Husband's Canning





I am married to the most resourceful person I have ever met! Yes, and I didn't even know until well into our marriage! (I know, it's only been 5 1/2 years!) So, I am so grateful for the ways my husband has helped us to learn to save money. One of the ways we do this is by having a garden. Now, we don't have a big piece of property, but you could not imagine HOW MUCH we have growing here in the summer. Let's see- strawberries, blueberries, grapes, plums, peaches (soon), cherries (soon), lettuce, tomatoes, potatoes, swiss chard, oregano, chives, cucumbers, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, raspberries, tomatillos, peppers, asparagas, am I missing anything??? So, on top of that we take all of these items and freeze, dehydrate or can them for future use. Not only that, my husband canvasses the community for more resources like apples, pears, and cherries for more canning possibilities.


So last week I was taking inventory of what we have in our pantry because I want to be more resourceful in my meal plans. I looked at what we had (not to mention the canning), and I thought...why do I spend money at the grocery store when I have everything right here in my kitchen? So, my challenge this month is to spend only $150 on food (staples that run out fast or some ingredient needed). I have started cooking meals to put in the freezer which helps my stress level for dinner time to be next to nothing! I also just joined an eat from your pantry challenge, so now I am accountable!


I am so grateful to God for giving us a wonderful garden and also for my husband and his resourcefulness in helping our family be healthy and save money. He is very generous too and shares our bounty with others!

2 comments:

Jodi aka One Blessed Mama said...

That is awesome! I do all the canning at our house... Don't you just LOVE having those canned goods in the winter?!?

Shonna Scollard said...

It is refreshing to hear the love you have for your hubby! This year I did a bunch of canning and jamming, and freezing from our garden. Thanks for the reminder to use those things!