Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tot school- ideas for moms and tots

I was a teacher for 12 years and I just can't give up my "teacher-ness." I have ebbed and flowed in my teaching of my son. Basically, I read to him and sang a lot of songs with him. Now that he is almost 15 months I want to step it up a little in a fun way. Again, I've been scouring the internet for ideas. I found some great websites that I will share later, but mostly I found a plan that I can follow. I don't want to be rigid, but I do want to teach my son as I look forward to homeschooling some day. So here's my plan:

*Read at least 3x a day
-mid-morning
-before nap time
-before bed time
*Song time- throughout the day
*Memorizing Bible verse- 1 a week, I use the Bible verse from Totally Tots
*Tot school- play with one toy together

*Gross motor activities
-outside- our yard, the park
-hide and seek
-ball
-stairs

*Fine motor
-crayons
-play dough
-blocks
-using spoons and forks

Outside activities:
-Parent/Child class for 8 weeks through Bates Technical college
-Library story time once a week
-Children's Museum
-Play dates with friends

That's about what I'm doing. How about you?

Next time, I will share a few more websites that will be helpful for teaching tots in FUN ways!

No comments: