Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ultimate Recipe Swap: Chocolate Zucchini Cake


I received this recipe from a teacher friend (thanks, Debi) a few years ago at my bridal shower at school. This is so healthy!


Ingredients:
*1/2 cup butter, melted
*1/2 cup vegetable oil
*1 3/4 cup sugar (or 1 cup applesauce and 3/4 c. sugar)
*2 eggs
*1 tsp. vanilla
*1/2 cup sour milk (1/2 cup milk plus 1 tsp. lemon juice)
*2 cups flour (I use Flour Blend, see below, from The Sneaky Chef)
*4 Tb. cocoa
*1/2 tsp. baking powder
*1 tsp. baking soda
*1/2 tsp. cinnamon
*1/2 tsp. ground cloves
*2 cups zucchini, shredded (I actually pureed mine a little bit)
*1/4-1 cup chocolate chips

Cream butter, oil and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and milk, beat until fluffy. (To the wet ingredients I added a teaspoon of flax seed oil blend). Mix dry ingredients together and slowly add to creamed mixture. (To the dry ingredients I added 2 T of flax seed meal). Beat well. Add zucchini stirring with a wooden spoon. Pour into a lightly greased and floured cake pan. Sprinkle top with choc. chips. Bake at 325 for 40-45 min. Enjoy!

Flour Blend:
Makes 3 cups of flour blend

- 1 cup all-purpose, unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup wheat germ, unsweetened

> Combine the flours and wheat germ in a large bowl.

> This blend can be stored in a sealed, labeled plastic bag or container in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.


Find more great recipes with flour on Life As Mom!

1 comment:

SnoWhite said...

When I make this, I end up replacing some of the butter/oil with applesauce!! Delicious.