Sunday, July 10, 2011

Good Morning Girls: Giving the Gift of Faith Discussion Questions

The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children 
1. Read Psalm 119:105.  According to this verse, what will give our children a proper foundation and guidance on their path of life?  In what ways does this apply to our calling as ministers to our children?

God's Word gives a proper foundation and guidance on the path of life.  I am the one to share God's Word with my children.  I want to show them how God's Word is a lamp and a light.  I want to daily be in God's Word by myself and with my children as I can know what God's Word says and to give those nuggets to my children.

2. Make a list of five things you could do to incorporate God's Word more effectively into your everyday family life.  Pick one item from the list and commit to applying it faithfully for six weeks.

Ways to incorporate God's Word effectively in everyday life: 
*Memorize Scripture- use Seeds Family Worship (like Seeds of Character (Vol. 6)) and Songs for Saplings
*Read Bible stories together- see my Summer Worship Series
*Act out Bible stories
*Review what was taught at church
*Pray Scripture over my children- 31 Biblical Virtues and Warrior Prayers

3. Hebrews 11:6 tells us that without faith, it is impossible to please God.  What circumstances has God recently allowed in your own life that call for faith?  In what ways are you modeling faith before the eyes of your children so that they are learning how to have faith in God?


Faith is something I crave more of, but the more I experience life, the more my faith has grown.  Recent events like my dad getting a heart stent, my husband getting a biopsy for possible cancer (it wasn't), my mom finding a lump (benign) and my grandma having health issues all came when I was pregnant and going through many emotions.  The best way I know how is to stop and pray and read Scripture.  I know I'll have many opportunities to demonstrate my faith to my children. 
 
4. Think of a time in the past that you have had to walk by faith but now look back to see what God has done.  Tell your children about this experience in the form of a bedtime story.


Once upon a time mommy had a job and daddy didn't.  Daddy hurt his back and couldn't work for awhile and was getting some money from the government.  Well, mommy was going to have a baby and really wanted to stay home.  So daddy had to find a job to take care of mommy and baby.  The money from the government was going to end and someone needed to work.  Well, God worked it out perfectly.  The same day daddy got the last check from the government was the day he was hired to work and mommy was able to stay home with the baby!
 
5. According to Ephesians 2:8, what does God say is the source of our salvation?  What does faith have to do with this?  Do your children understand that God's love is a free gift with no strings attached?  Plan out how to communicate this principle to them.

The source of our salvation is God's grace.  Faith is believing that God gives us this gift even though we don't deserve it.  There is no easy way to explain this because sometimes I feel I need to earn God's love.  I think the best way for my kids to understand this is for me to show my love for my kids no matter what and tell them that God gives his love to us despite the bad things we do.  The only free gift that is most valuable to our lives is salvation!

No comments: