Thursday, September 29, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Chicken Noodle Soup



Adapted from Life As Mom:

Chicken Noodle Soup
2 T. olive oil or chicken fat
1 onion, grated (I omitted this-not an onion person)
2 carrots, grated
1 small zucchini, grated
8 cups chicken broth (low-salt commercial brand or homemade) (I used 4 cups broth, 4 cups water)
8-16 ounces egg noodles, amount depends on your family’s tastes (bow-tie veggie pasta and leftover shells)
1 t. marjoram
1 t. dried parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken- my addition

2-3 cooked chicken breasts, skin and bone removed, meat shredded or chopped into ½-inch chunks.
In large soup pot, heat oil or fat. Sauté onion until clear. Stir in carrots and zucchini and cook a few minutes more. Stir in broth. Bring to boil and stir in egg noodles. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Stir in marjoram, parsley, salt and pepper, and chicken meat. Simmer another 15 minutes.
These times are approximate. So remember to taste and adjust according to what you like.

Helpful hints: Grate carrots and zucchini the night before and put in containers in the fridge.  Cook up the chicken the night before too and shred.  All I had to do was dump!


Ha, you thought this would be boring, but let me tell you, I have made many chicken noodle soups and this one is my favorite and it was pretty too with the pasta I used!  It's a keeper and it made quite a lot.  It think what I like best was the shredded veggies.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like a good recipe! My hubby and I love chicken soup! Thanks for the recipe.

Cindy Bultema said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to give it a try. (Thanks for your helpful hints too ~ I like just having to dump!)
Sweet blessings
Cindy :)

Erin Branscom said...

This looks great! :) Can't wait to see your 31 days too! :)