Thursday, November 3, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Chicken and Wild Rice Bake (adapted from Good Cheap Eats)



I love this website (Good Cheap Eats) and have found lots of great recipes.  My husband told me I can make this one as OFTEN as I like.  Well, I guess I will. 

Chicken and Wild Rice Bake  (adapted from Good Cheap Eats)
3 bone-in chicken breasts or 1 cut-up chicken
1 batch herbed vinaigrette or 1/2 cup your favorite oil and vinegar dressing
2 cups brown rice
1/4 cup wild rice (I have a lot that we bought in Minnesota)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. chopped carrots
3 garlic cloves minced
1 rib celery (optional)
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
4 cups chicken broth, water, or a combination (I used 2 cups broth, 2 cups water)

Combine chicken breasts and vinaigrette in a large ziptop bag. Seal and massage bag. Allow to marinade for several hours.

Tip: Soak 2 cups brown rice with seasonings for a few hours before putting in oven.

Preheat oven to 375°. Spray 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Combine rice, wild rice, thyme, pepper, onion, celery and mushrooms in pan. Stir in broth. Remove chicken pieces from marinade and place atop rice. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until rice absorbs liquid and chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.  Then debone chicken and mix together.  This is super tasty!!

Herbed Vinaigrette
juice of half a lemon (used lemon juice)
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar (I used balsamic vinegar)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I didn't have this so didn't use it)
1 clove garlic minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
In small dish combine lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, herbs, and pepper. Stir well. Add olive oil in a thin stream, stirring to combine.

No comments: